The Henry Family

Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Mema

I mentioned in my Labor Day post that my Mema had a medical emergency which caused my parents to rush to Texarkana. Without giving too many personal details, she has been sick off and on for the last 5 years. It has been a hard fight for her and on Thursday, September15, God granted her peace from her suffering and she passed away. It was not an unexpected outcome for our family, but difficult just the same. I just wanted to write a post about my Mema, who has always been such an important person in my life.

I was my Mema's first granddaughter. After having 3 boys and only 1 girl, I am told she was very excited about my arrival:) She and I always had a special relationship. She always knew how to make me feel special. I used to love to go visit her and my Pepa for a week, all by myself and they made me feel like a queen.
My Mema was the epitome of a gracious southern woman. I remember her giving me Emily Post's guide to Etiquette as a High School graduation gift:) She was a very involved grandmother and great grandmother to us all. She was always described as the rudder of our family's ship and I know it will be hard for us all to adjust to her absence. She and my Pepa had a wonderful marriage of 57 years and are definitely one of Nathan and I's greatest role models in our own marriage.
Here are a few pictures of her that I wanted to share. I sure loved that wonderful woman and will miss her greatly!



1 comment:

Mike and Katie said...

She was a beautiful woman inside and out! I'm sorry for your loss.

Hugs!