The Henry Family

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The First Day of School!

You know, I thought when I started staying at home, I would be better about blogging. I guess I am still adjusting to figuring out how to best use my time. I feel like I have this long list of things I want to do and am still trying to figure out the best way to develop a routine that incorporates all of it.
So, here's my attempt to keep catching up the blog:

Will had his first day of 4 year old preschool on August 15. He was excited to go to school and is getting a little better about taking pictures. He goes every morning from 8:00 to 11:30. He has the option to bring his lunch and stay until 12:00. I decided to leave this up to him, and so far, he has wanted to eat lunch with his friends (as he says it) instead of at home. I love that he is becoming more social! Social skills and his developmental therapy are the main reasons we decided to keep him in preschool even though I am at home and capable of teaching him myself. I do wish we had a 3 day a week preschool, but none exists in our town:( We do enjoy our afternoons together, just the two of us:)

Then, on August 16, Madeline had her first day of 1st grade! She has been very excited about this new grade and so have I, as this is the grade I have taught for the longest and it is so close to my heart:) We had gone to registration the week before and she was excited to find out that she got the teacher she wanted, Mrs. Spriggs! She is a good friend of mine and I taught her daughter last year, so it seemed fitting for her to teach mine this year:) I love knowing she is in such good hands now that I am not at the school to check on her:)




She loves that she now has a desk instead of a table and is more interested in bringing her lunch instead of getting a cafeteria tray this year. She had a bit of an adjustment period at first because she said it is a lot more work and less play in first grade:)
She has adjusted and says that she likes it much better now. We had her first parent teacher conference last week and we found out that she is doing amazingly well. Her teacher told us she was the best reader in the class! She is very into Accelerated Reader and I love that it is really challenging her as a reader. I can't wait to see more progress and feel so blessed that she is such a great student.
She has also started taking another year of ballet, tap, and gymnastics. She decided to add jazz and says it is now her favorite class:)













I am still enjoying decorating cookies and decided to make some apple cookies as a back to school gift for the kids teachers. I put them in the type of tub that I liked to use in my own classroom so that they could re-purpose them when the cookies were gone. I love useful gifts!

It has been such a blessing to get to experience all of the Back to School traditions as a mom instead of always trying to juggle being a mom and a teacher. I almost cried with joy when I was able to walk Madeline to her class on the first day, an event I missed when she started kindergarten:( I feel like my kids have adjusted much more easily now that I am home as well. We have not had tears at drop off like we have in past years and I just feel like we are all much more relaxed and able to spend more quality time together. I cannot say enough how much being at home is such an amazing blessing for our family!!!

No comments: