The Henry Family

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Traveling With and Without Children

My baby brother graduated from Law School last weekend, so we all headed up to Central and Northwest Arkansas to join the celebration. We had made the decision that, since the trip to Fayetteville is about 5 1/2 hours away, we would drop Madeline and Will at Granny's house in Conway instead. This was a mere 2 1/2 hour trip, surely that would be easy and fun, right?
Look how entertained Will is by this driving toy (excuse the blurry picture, we so need a new camera!).
Madeline is enjoying watching Enchanted for the 1000th time. She's even smiling because she is enjoying the ride, right?
Let me just say that these pictures were taken while I was leisurely riding along during the first 30 min. of the trip. Now, please notice that there are no more pictures of the rest of that drive because I was too busy trying to hand Will new toys/books to entertain him, only to have the thrown back a me! Madeline got tired of the movie and opted to entertain herself by whining and asking how much longer. We survived somewhat precariously by playing a Kidz Bop (sp?) CD found in a Happy Meal several times and bringing out the snacks, slowly, until we were close to Conway.
After getting both kids settled with Granny, we were on our way, kid-free. Now, please know that I love and adore my children, but Nathan and I RARELY ever go anywhere or do anything without at least one of them! So, this was so nice in contrast to the 1st part of the drive. We had such wonderful conversation and enjoyed the beautiful scenery on the way to Fayetteville.
We even stopped in a little town called, Alma so that Nathan could get some German Chocolate Ice Cream at Braums.


Then, when I went into a gas station to get a can of Dr. Pepper to pour over my wonderful Sonic ice that was left from my first drink stop in Conway (you just can't let it go to waste!), I found something amazing! The biggest can of Dr. Pepper I had ever seen. Now, for those who don't know, I LOVE Dr. Pepper!!! I even give it up every year for Lent because it is a BIG sacrifice for me. I wonder if I will ever find a can like this again?

The rest of the trip was wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that I forgot to take anymore pictures. Oh well. I'm really trying to improve!



3 comments:

Rachel said...

Probably a good idea :) Matt and I took the kids to Liz's graduation the week before, and it is to be known as "the trip we shall never speak of again." Poor kids just don't like to be stuck in a car :)

Congrats to your little brother! We saw his name in the big commencement book. We were all a little sad that the law school graduation was the next week, and we wouldn't get a chance to see you guys.

Susan said...

Glad yall got some alone time. Its very important! You should have gotten a case of those big DPs!

arklehmans said...

Lisa, I of all people know how much u LOVE the pepper. I laugh just b/c I can really picture how excited that big can made you!!!!