The Henry Family

Monday, January 10, 2011

Yay! A Snow Day!

We have been excited all week because we had a chance of winter weather on Sunday. You see, we live in South Arkansas and very rarely see any winter precipitation. So, on Sunday morning, as we were getting ready for church, we heard the tapping of sleet hitting our windows. The kids were so excited! We were supposed to get a lot of snow too, but, as you can see in these pictures, we mostly got ice. Still, it was a pretty scene the next morning, especially because school got canceled! Here is the view across the street:
Here is our house:
The kids couldn't wait to get out and play. They kept asking if they could build a snowman but we had to explain that the ice and small amount of snow would not make that possible:( The first thing Madeline did was to scoop some up and taste it!
Will didn't know what to think and at first was very cautious about walking around on the crunchy ground.
Madeline was thrilled and wasn't cautious at all!
There were quite a few icicles around, especially on my van and the plants.
Here is Nathan checking out the frozen street. We sure are glad they canceled school because I would not have wanted to drive on this!
Will kept picking up handfuls of the snow/ice and throwing it:)
He decided this was a lot of fun!
Madeline had broken off and icicle and was checking it out.
Since we live so far south, we feel no need to invest in a sled, especially when a trash can lid will do the trick!

I love this shot of Will. We were worried that the sliding might scare him, but he loved it!
As expected, our more daring child had so much fun in icy driveway!
I am so glad we decided to go out early today because there were already signs of thawing. This doesn't surprise me because it got up to 52 degrees on Saturday and I'm sure the ground is not as cold as the below freezing temps we are having. I still can't believe we had almost continuous precipitation all day Sunday! We plan to stay in and enjoy the extra day at home, a real bonus in a 2 teacher family! I assume we will be back to school tomorrow. I hope everyone else enjoys their winter weather!

3 comments:

Mike, Kacy & Wells said...

I know how excited kiddos in LA gets when snow (or ice) hits the ground. Madeline & Will look like they had a great 2010 I enjoyed reading about your foster babies. That was a great undertaking & I know you did a great job.

Mike and Katie said...

Fun! In college, my cousin's husband and his roommates would put garbage bags over their couch cushions to go sliding.

It's nice to hear from you again and see what you've been up to. I can understand why doing foster care would be a bit much but I'm so excited to hear you'll be able to stay home next year! Yeah!!! That will make caring for the babes that need you easier. Big exciting changes for you.

Mike, Kacy & Wells said...

The uploading takes forever. I get it started after dinner then come back and do the commentary before bed. This resolution may fall by the wayside . . .