The Henry Family

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Another Sick Day

I guess my title makes it sound like I have taken a lot of sick days this year, but that is not really true when I compare this year to last. I think I took 9 days last year and have only taken 3 so far this year. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that:) Sick days are hard for a teacher because there is so much to do to prepare for a substitute.
Anyway, Madeline was sick for 2 days this week and I stayed home the second day. Nathan and I try to trade off so that neither of our classes is left with a substitute more than one day at a time. Even though I hated that Madeline was sick, I truly enjoyed my day at home. Luckily, she started feeling much better by about noon and was able to have fun herself. At one point, she came out of her room, got down the play dough, and entertained herself for a good 45 min. That was my first sign she was all better:)
I enjoyed getting caught up on laundry!

When she got bored with the play dough, she wanted to get down a Hello Kitty scrapbook set a friend had given her for her birthday. I had been saving it for a day that she needed something new and fun, and this seemed like a perfect time. At first, I was going to sit down and help her do each page, but then I realized that she really wanted to do it herself. So, I gave her a few pictures, showed her the basic way to set up a page, and let her go to town. It totally made her day! She was so proud of her pages and so was I. She even spelled out titles with stickers all on her own! I'm so glad I decided to let go and let her be more independent with it.
We sent Will to preschool that day but it was so nice to pick him up at noon instead of him staying for day care. He was very happy and spent lots of time playing. He loves to get his trains all set up and then lay down when he plays so that he can see the action close-up.
He sure loves these adventures and plays contentedly for a long time:)
Madeline was glad to be all well and go back to school the next day. It was just in time as she was invited to 2 different birthday parties this weekend! We have had a busy and fun Saturday and are looking forward to a restful Sunday! I can't wait to be a SAHM next school year. I hope to have many pleasant days at home without having a sick child to make it possible:)

No comments: